Different spikes styles suit different track surfaces and events:
- 6mm Pyramid Spikes – popular all-round spikes suitable for all events.
- 7mm Christmas Tree Spikes – designed to compress the track surface. Suitable for sprints, hurdles, middle distance and jumps.
- 12mm Grass Spikes – longer spikes designed to provide increased traction on grass tracks. This is the maximum length of spike allowed in Little Athletics. We also stock a 15mm Grass Spike for powerful adult sprinters.
We also sell Specialty Spikes in 9mm Pyramid, 9mm Jumps and 15mm Grass styles.
Athletes often have a personal preference towards either Pyramid Spikes or Christmas Tree Spikes when competing on synthetic tracks.
Here is a quick guide to spikes style by event for events on synthetic tracks:
- Sprints and Hurdles (100m to 400m) – 6mm Pyramid or 7mm Christmas Tree
- Middle Distance (800m – 1500m) – 6mm Pyramid or 7mm Christmas Tree
- Long Distance (3000m – 10000m) – 6mm Pyramid
- Steeplechase – 6mm Pyramid
- Cross Country – 6mm Pyramid, 9mm Pyramid or 12mm Grass (use shorter spikes on harder surfaces)
- Long Jump and Triple Jump – 6mm Pyramid, 9mm Pyramid
- High Jump – 9mm Pyramid or 9mm Jumps
- Javelin – 6mm Pyramid or 9mm Pyramid
- Pole Vault – 6mm Pyramid or 7mm Christmas Tree